Thursday, January 12, 2012

Its in the Bag.


Often, people ask me how they can 'make a difference' in regard to homelessness in the Flathead Valley. I pause and try to collect some thoughts before I spew an unnecessarily overcomplicated and jumbled reply that might even confuse the inquisitive soul more than when they first asked their question. It's not because I don't know what to say; its just such a broad topic and narrowing down the issue is helpful.

Recently I spoke with someone who (a while ago) asked me this very question but then came up with a solution of her own. So... how can a person 'make a difference?'

30 dimes is an excellent start.

Veronica is a transplanted New Yorker who has called the Valley her home for the past two and half years. We met a few months ago while she was coordinating a volunteer group to come to Samaritan House and, after talking for a bit, she wanted some tangible advice on how she might be able to help the homeless in Kalispell. Really, how does one person effect change in the lives of others? Her idea was brilliant in its simplicity and practicality.

She began compiling gift bags to hand out in the community to people who might need them. These aren't Oscar-style swag bags; there aren't iPads or Rolexes and I doubt anything in them has ever been autographed by Tim Te bow or Justin Beiber. Instead, there are socks, hot hand warmers, wet wipes, apple cider packges, small snack foods, and a message of hope. She puts these together for $3.. or 30 dimes... or the price of a really nice coffee with a few trimmings added.

Veronica keeps these bags with her in her car and hands them out as shes driving around Kalispell. The beauty of this idea is that anyone can do it and it does not require any added time to an already compact schedule. If you have to drive somewhere, you can instantly be ready to give one away. But there is more involved if a person allows it. Often, Veronica has a conversation with the person and not only provides them with some physical items. She acknowledges them as a person and talks with them. Hears their story.

I realize those of you reading this (all 10 of you) are doing so because you have at least an interest in helping others. Assistance does not have to be some expensive or overbearing gesture. It can be as simple, yet effective, as handing out a bag of items to someone who can use them. I would love to hear your stories about your own ways to reach into the lives of others.

Perhaps you will inspire more people who feel overwhelmed and isolated. Email me and I will be glad to relay your story to the rest of the community. If anyone is interested in helping Veronica, you can reach her at: veronica.thompson@ywammontana.org

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend and I call these "blessing bags" and fill them with toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc. maybe a bottle water and some granola bars. I've taken to keeping a few hand me down coats in my car, just in case someone is in need. I think any sign of compassion is important and we all deserve it!