Friday, April 27, 2012

From the Mouths of Babes...

I recently had the pleasure of speaking in a second grade classroom at one of the Valley’s fine elementary schools. The greatest attribute of an 8 year old is their inability to not not tell the truth when you ask them a question. They had been learning about community service and the difference between wants and needs. This is pretty heady stuff because I’m sure that when I was in the second grade I was simply trying to figure out which way my desk was supposed to face and why my lunch box was always missing.

The plan was to arrive a few minutes early so I could survey the scene and hopefully figure out which kids needed to be bribed with candy and which ones would be the future leaders of the free world and look back on this day (and my wonderful talk) as the pivotal moment in their life that inspired them on to a life of greatness instead of reality show stardom. My time slot was 2:30 in the afternoon so I feared they would be mentally checked out and ready for the final bell. Perhaps this wasn’t such a good idea. I mean, how do you explain homelessness to elementary students, anyway? It’s a multilayered issue that is way too complex for a bunch of kids who have no appreciation for Star Wars: Episodes 4-6, let alone the human condition.

Their teacher introduced me and the class was surprisingly alert and dialed in. After only a few minutes I realized I would be the one who received the education that afternoon. To a second grader, politics and religion and the social climate don’t matter as much as simply being a nice person does. I was able to talk with them in a way that was refreshing because their answers weren’t rehearsed and they genuinely couldn’t understand why we should not help others in need. They weren’t trying to impress me or tell me what I wanted to hear. They simply told the truth.

After 20 minutes we ended the discussion on the difference between a “want” and a “need.” I was humbled to hear them elaborate on how sad it was if people didn’t have the basics of life: shelter, food, and clothing. These kids understood some very fundamental truths. Ideas that many adults can’t (or don’t want to) grasp. For a person to become successful and achieve some amenities that they want, they must first be in a position where their needs are met. Needs are met when people help one another without expecting anything in return.

We didn’t talk about policies and tax deductions and who volunteered more than anyone else. This forum of second graders wanted things to change because they felt compassion and were motivated by a desire to help others simply because it seemed like the right thing to do.

I left the meeting trying to remember what grade we taught common sense. I hope these kids skip it.

No comments: