Thursday, January 10, 2013

Cars

There is a winter storm advisory for the next 24 hours. I suppose that's par for the course when you live in Flathead County in mid January. I'm prepared. I have studs on my tires and plenty of pellets for my stove at home. In the morning, I always start my vehicle and let it warm up for a few minutes before I attempt to drive it anywhere. It's nice to settle into a comfortably heated car. I set my coffee in the cup holder and usually drive a few miles to let it cool down a bit before I take a sip and end up burning my tongue, regardless. Having reliable transportation is essential this time of year. Did I mention the storm advisory?

Charlotte has a car, too. It only has about an eighth of a tank of but that's the least of her worries. Her coffee holders are occupied with toothbrushes and travel-sized bottles of shampoo. She doesn't let her car warm up before she drives anywhere because she doesn't really have many places to go. Well, that and the heater stopped working in October. She managed to cope well enough until early December arrived and then the nights got longer. It's indescribable having to live in a car.

My back cargo area can hold four large garbage bags full of donated clothes that I bring to the shelter with me. The trunk of her car is stuffed full of her clothes. My seat covers keep the upholstery protected. The blankets draped over her seats keep her from getting hypothermia. My dome light allows me to check for crumbs in my beard while hers lets her search every nook for a dime or nickel so she can get something to eat.

My car is an instrument for enjoyment and business. It lets me load up my family and take them on vacation. Charlotte's car is her bedroom, living room, and dining area all at once. I can lock my doors at night and set my alarm. She bolts her doors shut and prays the streetlight overhead doesn't burn out.

I really enjoy taking drives in Montana. The snow doesn't bother me too much and I like to complain because it reminds me that life isn't really that bad. Charlotte enjoys the summer. There is a winter weather advisory, you know.

No comments: