Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Trouble with Other Languages


Speaking a foreign language is tough. I've had a few years of Spanish and French and I can honestly say if I was lost in Barcelona or Paris, I would curl up in a fetal position and cry relentlessly until someone who spoke the language decided to save me either out of compassion or simply because my wailing had become annoying. I admire people who are bilingual because I know the effort involved with mastering more than one language, even if I can't do it.

It's natural to struggle in an environment where nothing makes sense. Foreign languages exclude people who have never been exposed to that culture or manner of communication. But what happens when we can't understand our own language... the very one we speak? We know what the words are but can't attach meaning to them. Have you ever watched a medical drama on TV and everything is fine until the doctors start rattling off technical jargon that makes sense to them but leaves the rest of us (who aren't doctors) clueless? This happened to me so often that I still hate Doogie Howser to this very day.

I realize this is a lame example, but I hope the premise rings true. My point is that many times we are in situations where we understand the words but the true meaning escapes us. This is why we offer legal service at Project Homeless Connect. Any of our clients who have questions regarding legal matters can meet with people who will take the time to 'translate' legal issues into a language that is understandable. One of the gravest ways that people are intimidated or discriminated against is due to legal actions against them that they cannot understand. Much is lost in the fine print.

Another advantage to the legal services provided at PHC is that many people would like to see if they have been discriminated against and whether they have a legitimate argument regarding any recourse they could take. Speaking legal-ese is difficult and often people give up if they're unfamiliar with how things work. Our volunteers hope to help our clients break through the foreign language of the legal system. This is a very key part of the PHC experience and we are very appreciative of those who help others in this potentially confusing area.

No comments: