Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Heat Index and a Plea for Auga!

"At least it’s a dry heat."


I've heard that a few times since moving to Montana in 1996. I'm not a meteorologist and, while I wish I had the keen insight of Mark Heyka, it’s not happening for me. All that truly resonates when I walk out of my office are the radiating heat ripples that try and fool me into thinking there is a puddle gathering in the edge of the parking lot; I will never reach this mirage but it will perpetually be there. I am not comforted by dry heat even though I grew up in an environment of gross humidity. I am an equal-opportunity hater when it comes to the power of the sun in regards to making door handles too hot to touch or pavement too blistering for bare feet.

Imagine if you were out in the sun all day. This is a reality for our residents in the shelter because they are gone from the building during the hours of 9am and 4 pm. Since many businesses have no patience for loitering, those who are homeless often spend countless hours outside, forced to brace whatever the elements might toss their way, heat or cold. Rarely is there a respite from the heat that saturates the Valley.

Now, imagine that you were in the constant heat without anything to drink. The current heat wave engulfing us has dangerous effects. Heat stroke and dehydration are just two of the potential hazards the homeless face every day. These are preventable conditions that can be remedied with water.

People often ask what donations would benefit Samaritan House. This time of year we could really use bottled water for our residents. If you are interested in donating water, please drop it off at our shelter or call Kassi at 257-5801.

Thanks!


No comments: