Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Battle Tested

I was recently hanging out with my family pretending that I wasn't watching a popular show that shall remain nameless so I can hold my head up high the next time I enter a man-cave. Its a contest where people sing and four judges vie for their attention so the performer will join their team and compete against other singers who have been snatched up by the other judges. After a few minutes I was only partly listening until something caught my attention.

A segment of the show was introduced and the singers were supposed to sing in a "battle round" where the weaker performer would be eliminated and the better singer would move forward in the competition. I am a competitive person by nature so I like a good contest but for whatever reason I just couldn't buy into the concept that what was happening was a battle. A battle is a struggle with dire consequences and ominous implications, not two kids singing One Direction covers.

I know this might be a pet peeve and perhaps I need to lighten up and embrace the musical hyperbole, but I was having a difficult time conceptualizing what was unfolding as a battle. I've known too many people with issues in their life that have been truly difficult to overcome; real battles. The kind that keep you up at night because they are heartbreakingly real and imply genuine attrition. Again, I'm probably nitpicking to an unhealthy degree but I couldn't help think of a some of the people I've met over the years and how they have waged battles with abuse and addiction and domestic violence. These are true warriors because they have counted a cost and sacrificed things to succeed and achieve victory.

My intent is not to quibble with network television and launch a crusade against reality shows that reward excellent singers. I can appreciate their commitment and the journey they embark upon to reach their dreams. I am merely asking us to consider the sacrifices of others who will never stand on a stage and have the whole world applaud their personal victories.

We all wage battles of different degrees.

No comments: