Monday, April 20, 2015

Net-Working

Recently, I wrote an article posing the idea that Internet access has become a basic right. I have to admit this sounds strange and my initial instinct was to to relegate this theory to some other ideas that appeared solid but, after further examination, didn't hold up to the scrutiny of cross examination (please forgive me Pet Rocks, Chia Pet, and the entire Fast and Furious franchise). Labeling something as a right has strong implications and we shouldn't throw that concept around without considering the ramifications.

There are a few rights all Americans acknowledge, even if we disagree about the meaning and facilitation of those rights. People are entitled to live, have some elements of freedom, and pursue a life of productivity and enjoyment. Also, in social services, there is a strong belief all people should have food, clothing, shelter, employment, and access to education. Again, we like to squabble over the semantics of these ideas, and even if some would protest a few of them, at least a rational discussion could be made for basic inclusion or exclusion.

Disclaimer: I was born in 1975 and grew up before the digital age dawned. I didn't have an email address until I was 20 years old and social networking is a concept that is not second nature. As I write this, I am not biased toward a wireless world because it was my default setting. If anything, I still remember the good 'ol days when Tweeting was confined to trees, a Tumblr was a misspelled gymnast, and Pintrest and Instagram still confuse me because even though I recognize some of their syllables, they still some seem like real words.

But I get it. I refuse to be an old curmudgeon who sees iThings as fads. This is the world we live in and it will only accelerate. Interconnectivity is not a WAY of life anymore; it IS life. We message each other while we're in the same rooms. We perpetually like and dislike ideas and comments with our friends, many of whom we haven't actually (verbally) spoken with in years. I get it. But is the Internet something we are entitled to?

Forget the social elements for a minute and simply consider the pragmatic aspects. Have you purchased something, checked work emails or accounts, made a reservation for anything, or worked on an educational assignment from your home (or phone) in the past 24 hours? Me too. The Internet has moved from luxury to necessity for many people, so should access to it be something every person should get?

I am not advocating for an iPad in every kitchen and a laptop for everyone. I'm simply raising the point that life is changing and those without access to the Internet will be forced to live a secondary existence. They will survive, but it will be an antiquated and primitive form of living, relatively speaking. Many homeless fall into this category. Life is challenging enough for people living in shelters or places not meant for human habitation. But their problems are compounded when they can't keep up with those who are evolving and adapting to the times. This is a multilayered issue that isn't going away, so what can we do to foster healthy dialogue about it?

No comments: