Monday, October 19, 2015

Walk On...

Over the years, I have had the privilege of having some incredible conversations with our residents. I can honestly say I've learned a great deal and would classify some of these amazing people as some of the wisest people I've ever met. Anytime a person shares their perspective on life, the conversation takes on a personal tone.

So much of what we believe is influenced by how we live and what we experience. It would be easy (and perhaps even rational) for the homeless to lash out and adopt a defensive and antagonistic tone. After all, life is certainly not easy for the homeless and it makes sense that any advice dispensed could be centered around elevating yourself by any means necessary, even if it is at the expense of others.

So it was refreshing when I was going through some of my notes and found this conversation with a man named *John. And I am happy to share some advice that runs counter to the way most of the world operates.

"There may be times when you are stolen from. You may be attacked or threatened. It may happen at the worst possible moment, when you really needed comfort, money, and kindness. You may be told to move on by police, get yelled at by a business or property owner, or be denied service. You might get a parking ticket, or have your vehicle towed. You might get cut off, pushed out of line, or otherwise mistreated. A security guard or bicycle cop may compensate for his bruised ego by being a total tyrant toward you. If you are a normal human being, with a normal level of natural steroids, you may feel just that spark of aggression.

You might be tempted to stand up for yourself and fight.

May I suggest an alternative? Don't.

Oh, I know, it's hard, but walk away. Get out of the fight. Give the mugger your wallet. Go to a different business if they don't want your money at this one. Thank police for the ticket. Be submissive toward police, and even toward security guards and bike cops.

Take the path of least violence, always. Never fight when you can run. If you see someone who has wronged you in the past, do not plot revenge. Your goal in survival is to get the things done that assist you, and avoid things that damage you. Karma is real, but it is instant. Those who fight get hurt. If you fight when you don't have to, you are a fool. If you are violent, harm will come to you.

I don't mean not to defend yourself, and your rights. I always inform police that I will not waive my fourth amendment right against unwarranted search, or my fifth amendment right not to incriminate myself, or my sixth amendment rights to know the charges against me and to have counsel to assist me in my defense. If someone is attacking me, I fight until I can flee. If someone else is being victimized, I will assist him to the best of my ability, but I do mean that you should take the path of least violence. You should understand what winning is in a conflict, and stop fighting when you win."

Thanks John... victory comes in many ways.

No comments: