Friday, February 19, 2016

A Word, Rearranged

A few days ago I was walking through a department store, perusing the various graphic tee shirts staring back at me from the numerous hangers and racks. I was greeted by super heroes and rock bands. Cartoon characters and zombies all vied for my attention while every villain from the Star Wars franchise glared just menacingly enough to straddle the line between intimidation and marketability.
 
Eventually I had my fill of screen-printed scenery and was on my way to sporting goods when a certain shirt caught my attention. It was powder blue and written in a yellow lasso-looking script was the phrase, "The Pursuit Is Happiness." Obviously, it was a play on the phrase, "The Pursuit Of Happiness," which is a well known part of the Declaration of Independence. Initially, I was a little annoyed with what I saw because I think lacks imagination to hijack a well-known phrase and co-opt it into an easy money maker. What kind of hippie, Jack Kerouac nonsense was this, anyway?
 
We all know its better to focus on the "of" instead of the "is," right? We should plow forward and strive for results; something concrete we can point to as an accomplishment, right?
 
Or... maybe not. What if we truly slowed down, took a step back and surveyed our surroundings in a way that allowed us to enjoy them rather than worry about perpetually conquering them? We exist in a world thriving on results and finish lines. But reaching those goals can be more rewarding than surpassing them. Sometimes our journey is difficult and it nearly always involves sacrifice and devotion. We work hard to improve our situation and the lives of those we care about. Its not a bad thing to enjoy and savor the progress we make.

So many of our former residents have transcended terrible circumstances that would have discouraged others from continuing. Working towards something is a process that doesn't happen over night. We can't wave a magic wand and wish a better outcome into  existence. And I don't think we would truly appreciate life if there was no sacrifice involved.

So this is dedicated to everyone out there... Those who are homeless, living in poverty, or anyone who has taken the time to find the beauty in the journey. Its interesting how one word can make a monumental difference and rearrange an entire message.

 

No comments: