Saturday, June 14, 2014

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day.

I am dad and this is the most exciting, rewarding, and terrifying job on the planet. Raising children is such a multilayered process that sometimes I forget if I'm coming or going. I find myself frustrated, elated, scared, and hopeful several different times throughout the day. And I even have the benefit of a great wife who is an outstanding mother. There are thousands of single fathers in America who are doing their best to raise kids and provide a stable lifestyle.

In regards to single-parent homes, we tend to picture mothers living alone, raising their children. This is the typical image and it doesn't seem to raise too many eyebrows because it has become accepted. I'm not minimizing this seriousness of this situation or the ramifications for everyone involved. It is not ideal and is both a sacrifice and struggle for mother and child. My point is that, while this is difficult, the situation usually doesn't surprise us. However, we tend to sometimes forget that there are single fathers, too.

Because women are (rightly or wrongly?) stereotyped as being more nurturing than men, we find it surprising when men go against their own stereotypes and raise children without a female partner. This can be a result of divorce, abandonment, or death. Single fathers find themselves juggling work, daycare (if affordable), possible education, and parenting. I have enough trouble changing the channel and drinking at the same time, so multitasking single fathers are to be commended in my book.

And lets not forget those fathers who have the benefit of raising their children with the help and love of a partner. Marriage and commitment are incredible things and should be lauded as well. Father's Day is for all fathers who strive to be positive examples for their kids. In a world where it is too easy to find things that divide us, I hope we can all agree on the merits of fatherhood and the respect deserving fathers should get.

From one dad to many others... Happy Father's Day.

No comments: