Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Time Flies

Sometimes I forget how old I am. I'm not unaware of the actual number of years since I made my debut on planet Earth. There are probably hundreds of embarrassing photos chronicling my physical progression through the ages. And if I added up the total amount of candles I've extinguished over my 30-something years, I'm sure the Fire Marshall would likely need to be involved at some point. Time never stops and the calendar is a simple reminder that it keeps on ticking no matter how badly I would like to slow it down.

Growing older is one thing every single person on this planet has in common. No matter your income, politics, geography, or genetics... You have aged since you began reading this blog. Whether you admit or deny it, you are older (and wiser?) than when you clicked on this link. Poof! Thirty seconds of your existence that you can never retrieve without the help of a 1985 De Loreon.

Its not the concept of aging that I have a problem with, though. Its the consequences. I love the same things I enjoyed 10 or 15 years ago, but am learning that my level of enthusiasm morphs according to my forced level of participation. Playing linebacker is great fun but now I think I'll coach. Camping is still awesome, but sometimes roughing it at a Super 8 can be nice, too. And... As much as I hate to admit it, I must confess I have traded my futon for a recliner as I spend less time watching American Ninja Warrior and more time recording (because the show I like is on after I got to bed) the History Channel. Music is still enjoyable at an appropriate level.

It can be deflating when we realize we are unable to perform tasks like we could when we were younger. Studies by organizations that work in geriatric-related fields show the most common frustration for the elderly is that their physical abilities wane while their mental state is as keen or sharp as it ever was. The body deteriorates faster than the mind. When this happens, it is important to have a strong support system. Families, friends, and loved ones can play an integral role in assisting someone as they age and come to terms with increasing physical limitations.

Many of our older residents at Samaritan House have no such network or support. Because they have been living a transient existence or are have often left violent situations, they live a largely isolated lifestyle. Most of their routine revolves around completing tasks in isolation, without assistance from others. Mundane and common things like grocery shopping, working a job that involves moving around, or just walking to various appointments around town can be difficult.

One of our most important goals as Samaritan House is providing dignity to our residents. A specific way this can be accomplished is by helping our residents have access to specific modes of transportation. If you would like to provide a donation toward bus passes or even drop off a bicycle, you would be doing a great deal toward providing a solution to an issue that will never go away... Aging.

No comments: