What: 20th Birthday Celebration and Open House BBQ
Date: July 11th, 2010
Time: Noon - 4 pm
Place: Samaritan House Administration Building
(the former armory on Meridian Rd. across from Peterson Elementary School)
Come have a burger, enjoy some live music by Tim Torgerson and Jason Singleton, and see the Samaritan House.
20 years doesn't seem like that long though it is still a major achievement and something that deserves celebrating. What started as a small shelter in a rented apartment has grown into a multi-dimensional approach to homelessness. Samaritan House's rich history of community support and collaboration has provided for thousands of the area's most vulnerable citizens.
Some of the more notable milestones in Samaritan House's history are:
- July 11th, 1990 Samaritan House came into existence from it's previous version Flathead Public Housing, Inc. Executive Director, Sister June Kenny came to Samaritan House from the Poverello Center, Inc. a homeless shelter in Missoula, Montana.
- 1998 - With the help of a courageous group of community volunteers and the City of Kalispell Community Development Dept., Samaritan House expanded to include Transitional Housing, a bigger shelter and additional permanent housing. It was at this time that Community Action Partners of Northwest Montana (then called Northwest Montana Human Resources) gifted Samaritan House with eight additional housing units for low-income permanent housing.
- 2002 - Demand for services reached the number of beds available, essentially every bed has remained full every night.
- 2002 - Samaritan House joined the Montana Continuum of Care for Homelessness. This made Samaritan House part of a greater statewide system of homeless services and formalized the Case Management services.
- January, 2004 - Samaritan House established it's Homeless Veterans Program. This brought a valuable collaboration between the Regional VA at Ft. Harrison, the local VA Clinic and Samaritan House offering services to our local homeless veterans.
- January, 2007 - Samaritan House began to offer Outreach Services.
- July, 2008 - Samaritan House acquires Sonstelie Hall USARC, the former armory property on Meridian Rd. across from Peterson Elementary School. This acquisition more than doubled Samaritan House's property holdings and brought greater versatility.
- March, 2010 - Samaritan House adds 13 beds to the shelter, a 26% growth for the shelter.