Monday, November 21, 2011

Who Helps Whom?

Why do we do nice things?

There are probably thousands of answers to this question and I had a great little article all ready to go until reality interrupted the theoretical universe I call home. I was literally sitting at my desk punching the keystrokes that composed my opening sentence when one of our residents stuck his head in my office (man, I really need to keep that door closed) and asked if I could give him a hand with something.

Sure, I thought. He probably needed something from the supply closet or maybe the kitchen was out of coffee. I could trouble myself to pause my very important blog submission and solve this crisis. I donned my martyr robe and asked him what he needed. My face had just the right mix of empathy and concern and I even leaned back in my chair to strike a 'how can I help you?' pose. His truck was stalled in our parking lot and he needed some guys to help push it so he could try and jump start it.

Ummm. I'm the Associate Director. I don't really do things like that. I don't mind fetching some paper towels once in a while or maybe making a few photocopies every now and then, but pulling some Dukes of Hazard stunt at 6:30 in the morning in 30 degree weather is not really in my job description.

Anyway... I am pretty wrapped up in writing this awesome article about the importance of helping people.

1 comment:

Danielle Josephsen Photography said...

I'm glad you helped him. It's a good reminder to me to be available for whatever may come my way unexpectedly. You never know what the big picture might be.