Monday, February 13, 2012

A Little Perspective Goes A Long Way

Whitney Houston died this weekend.

 For nearly two days her demise has dominated the news and I watched countless members of her family, peers, and fans openly state how their own lives would be impacted. She was an amazing talent and a true inspiration to thousands of people and, undoubtedly, her death is noteworthy. But... doesn't every life count, or do we care more and mourn louder when some 'important' dies?

Coalition for the Homeless estimates that close to 37,000 homeless people died last year. Each person had their own story and family. Passing away in obscurity must surely be one of the most tragic ways a person can die. No fanfare or public outcry; no memorial or dearth of people to reflect back upon the living years. They say that death is the great equalizer but how it finds us is often unfair. My intent is not to diminish the death of Whitney Houston although I was not a fan (even thought it seems trendy to claim fan hood whenever a star dies). I am sad for those who truly loved her.

Just as I am sad for the family and friends of many of our homeless who have vanished from mainstream society. Just as I am sad for the mentally ill or chemically dependent individual who is genuinely seeking help but has limited resources and cannot catch a break. Just as I am troubled by the number of people forced out of their homes by foreclosure. Just as I am heartbroken for the uninsured with mounting medical bills and a minimum wage job. Just as I am appalled by recent reports in California of teenagers targeting and beating the homeless. How insulting that these items rarely make the news unless they are so sensational they guarantee ratings.

A few months ago Samaritan House hosted a ceremony to remember those homeless who died in Montana in 2011. It was quiet and sparsely attended and I failed to see Anderson Cooper there. I am just asking for a little perspective because many of us, if we are honest, have much more in common with the homeless than we do with Whitney Houston.

No comments: