Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dear John (Project Homeless Connect part 2)

The veteran sifted through a room's worth of tables, looking at a hodgepodge of assorted items that had been collected and distributed evenly throughout the area. Volunteers were scattered about assisting anyone who asked for help. Many of the vets smiled graciously and kept to themselves. One gentleman named *John was particularly deliberate as he surveyed the contents of the room... all incredible items that could be found in the finest military surplus store. He had only collected a few things but was methodical in his selection process. After twenty minutes he was finished. A coat and a pair of boots were his only spoil and he thanked the service providers and quietly left the room. His exit matched his entrance; unassuming and dignified.

One of the greatest things about PHC is that people can leave with items they didn't arrive with and there is no dispersion of guilt or patronization. Different people have various levels of need so there is no real template for how much a person might gather while they are participating in the event. I was struck by the (minimal) amount of John's collection. He could have doubled his haul but left with a scant amount compared to others. I was curious.

Later in the afternoon I was having lunch and spoke with one of the volunteers over a bowl of chili (which is always the best way to talk to anyone) and he mentioned how the day had impacted him. Even though I am a lousy poker player, I kept my emotions in check and remain stoic as he told me about a particular veteran who toured the room for the vets but refused to take more than couple things. His reasoning, the volunteer told me, was that he was worried someone else might need them more. I knew he was referring to John but kept silent on the matter. I returned to my duties after I ate but the day was never the same. The idea that one person in need would elevate his fellow citizens above his own interest was truly humbling and I hope I changed a little that day.

It's pointless to talk when there are absolutely no words to convey how you feel.

*Not his real name.

No comments: