Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What Say You?


Have you ever met one of those people who likes to hear their own voice more than anything else in the world? You know the type of person... No matter what the topic is, they've already done it better than anyone else on the planet. I used to be one of these people. I would like to blame it on youthful exuberance or being well intentioned and full of ideas, but that would be a lie. I was just an arrogant jerk and hopefully I've changed over the years.

For me, the light came on one day when I was having a conversation with a lady that I really respected. I forget the actual content of the conversation but remember that much of it involved me prattling on about some incredible insight I had on a certain issue and how I was going to revolutionize something. Finally, after I must have rambled on for an excruciatingly long time, she stopped me and said that what I was taking about was a great idea. I retorted that I knew that, but then she cut me off and told me that having a great idea was not anything to be proud of in and of itself. She told me that "revelation was the easy part," and that its what we do with these ideas that matter.

I learned something that day that other people already knew: talk is cheap. Anyone can theorize about doing great and marvelous things, but until a person steps out and tries to accomplish these things, it doesn't really matter. We've all heard a million great ideas from other people but I doubt we've seen a million actions taken to implement those ideas. At Samaritan House we have been working very hard to identify the causes of homelessness in the Flathead Valley. We've done research and conducted studies but this means very little if we now consider our task done. We are more concerned about providing solutions than just relaying symptoms. We also would love if you, in the community, would partner with us as we undertake this endeavor.

It would be great to start a dialogue regarding what you think are some of the issues facing the homeless population in Kalispell. It would be great if you wrote in and told us your own experiences dealing with homeless people in the Valley. Before we start tackling things from our standpoint, it only makes sense to hear from you. Over the next few blog entries I will do my best to convey your stories and ideas about how we can all address the issue of homelessness in Kalispell.

No comments: