Tuesday, May 7, 2013

VA 2K Walk & Roll!

I will never be confused for an Olympic triathlete... let me get that out of the way right now so I don't fool anyone who doesn't know me. If you do know me, hopefully you have stopped rolling on the floor in fits of laughter and will continue to read this quick blog.

On Wednesday, May 15th, I will be competing (and I use that term lightly) for a great cause. I like great causes but I detest completion that involves sweating. My goal is to inspire all of you to come out and be a part of this soon-to-be-mentioned event. You DO NOT HAVE TO BE A RUNNER OR EVEN PARTICULARLY ATHLETIC!!! Okay, I'm finished yelling and will happily pass on the information.

The Kalispell Veterans Affairs is hosting a 2K "Walk or Roll" next week to benefit homelessness while promoting health and wellness. Since we are not Canadians and we use miles, this translates to just over 1.2 of them and you don't even have to run. Just completing it will give you self esteem to last the rest of your life and will also benefit our veterans.

There is no registration fee, but it would be great if you would consider bringing a donation to drop off. Nonperishable food, clothing, prepaid phone cards, buss passes, or anything else that tickles your fancy would be greatly appreciated. This is not mandatory, though. Participation is open to the entire community and we would love to see a massive hoard of people swarm this event.

We will begin at 11am in front of the Samaritan House Administration Center, which is the old Armory on the corner of Meridian and 2nd Street West (across the street from Pederson Elementary School). The course will follow the Rails to Trails walking path and water and snacks will be provided. Prizes will be raffled off at the end for those who participated.

Please come out and support this nationwide event that will be unfolding right here in Kalispell! For more information, please contact Karen Blackbird at 758-2700. Edit: lunch will not be provided, and the VA apologizes for this.

No comments: