Tuesday, December 31, 2013

No Resolutions for 2014

Born in 1975, I am a child of the 90s.

In kindergarten I remember the Challenger exploding and I was in 9th grade when Mr. Gorbachev finally 'tore down that wall.' In the 5th grade I journeyed Back To The Future and the events of 9/11 are just as seared into my memory as the Cuban Missle Crisis was for my parents. I missed out on Boy Meets World because it fell into that awkward time zone between Seinfeld and Breaking Bad. Warrant and Bon Jovi mercifully ebbed into Pearl Jam and now I secretly listen to the Civil Wars.

I have no real affection for Wrecking Balls.

I have the privilege (?) of being alive in an eon where everything is connected and all my flesh-and-blood friends have other friends over the Internet whom I will never meet but sure spend a lot of time 'liking' each others photos of what they all ate for breakfast before they all posted the contents of that meal for the rest of the world to like, too.

Times change and while that is the understatement of the year, I'm not sure how many of us accept this fact while acknowledging that we change too. We have to. When I was a kid I never put much thought into living into the next century and now, 14 years deep, I can appreciate that while the world  is not the same place, I am not the same person. Like you, I've morphed and reacted to my environment. I have committed great acts of epic heroism and dastardly feats of cowardice. My life, to this point, is given meaning by my responses to what comes my way. We have all loved and lost and helped and hindered others. What we did yesterday counts only to a small degree if we refuse to live in today.

As this new year approaches, I am not going to ask you to make any resolutions. This is contrary to past New Years when I tried to inspire or effect change. And while resolutions can be instruments for good and positive outcomes... this year I'm scrapping the idea for myself. Instead of concentrating on one fixed goal or a single measurable result, I am going to pay more attention to the journey I take in order to improve this planet. I guess I'll focus less on the road map and more on the globe. I realize this will be messy and involve quite a U-turns and Dead Ends. But so what? I cannot be afraid to go new places and try things from a fresh perspective. Yesterday's solutions were great for yesterday.

But the clock just stuck midnight. Its a new day.

So, if 2014 is going to be a year where we truly help others, then it will certainly involve some unforeseen decisions and a capacity for vision that we've not yet experienced. This has potential to be an incredible year and it is our honor to embark on it together, with you. Samaritan House will never abandon convention and all the positive ways that have yielded such great results. But we will also stretch our hearts and minds and not be afraid to explore new and innovative methods that are new.

Here's to the next year!



No comments: