Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cut and Dry

I am accident prone. Its a bit embarrassing to admit, but I've learned to live with my inability to go long stretches without bumping into or knocking something over. Bumps? Bruises? I've had my share although nothing major has ever hindered or crippled me. Its usually no big deal and if I happen to knick myself or do something to become mildly injured, I know I'll survive.

Any wound I obtain can be cleaned and sanitized and bandaged and then I move on about my day like nothing happened. I don't think twice about what happened because its really a non-issue. But what about those who don't live in a relatively clean and sterile environment? I don't fret if I have a cut or get scraped up because I have access to clean my cut. This is not the case for many people living in places not suitable for human habitation. Something as seemingly harmless as a small cut can become easily infected and lead to more severe problems such as dangerous infections.

The very thing I take for granted, like being able to clean a wound, would be a luxury for someone living outside or in a camp. While I might forget about what ails me and sleep well, they may lose sleep from anxiety about their inability to heal properly. This is something some of us have never considered and it is a real problem for many people.

It is also a stereotype and misconception that the homeless are quick to visit the emergency room every time something happens. Because they have no insurance, the cost is saddled to the rest of the community and several of our residents have personally told me they would avoid the ER at all costs because they didn't want to accrue costs they couldn't afford. The problem is expedited when a minor cut or infection goes untreated and evolves into something worse and then the treatment becomes more expensive and complex.

So, the next time you find yourself on the wrong end of an injury that you might normally not give a second thought to... be thankful for the clean water and antiseptic used to dress the wound. Please remember those who do not have the same access to treat their own cuts.

No comments: