Friday, February 21, 2014

Gold Medal

Every four years we have the opportunity to put aside our differences and bond as a nation. The Olympics afford us the opportunity to stop our partisan squabbling and focus, as Americans, on a common goal: beating the Canadians in hockey. This singular task joins the greatest of foes together and turns the most entrenched enemies into chums as they chant, in unison: "USA! USA!" while burning effigies of Sidney Crosby and Jamie Benn.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend (at least every four years), right?

This sense of community and fellowship exhibited by proud Americans is a reminder that we have much more in common than we have as differences. I've learned this over the years while talking to many of our residents at Samaritan House. Just because a person does not have housing does not mean I have nothing in common with them. Over time, I have had the privilege to meet, and learn from, some incredible men and women who are just like me... Americans. They might be struggling and their circumstances have rendered them homeless, but that does not define them.

We all share a better hope for the future and a longing to provide for those we care about. What truly connects us is not our income or address; not what we drive or sail or where our children go to school. The genuine, inescapable factor binding us together is that we all live in a nation that promises us the same rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of being happy. But we spend too much time rooting against each other. We get upset if others have more than us and our neighbors are turned into competitors. It shouldn't be this way.

I've seen in many of our residents the same determination and commitment to hard work and dedication that I see in some of the Olympic athletes who represent our country. They do not want to be homeless and work hard to better their lives for themselves and their families. I have been just as inspired by some of their stories as I have by the stories of our country's athletes. I see in them the spirit of and desire to succeed, only the desired prize is not a medal, but life, itself.

* EDITOR'S NOTE: All references about Canadians were made in good fun and with no animosity. I actually love Celine Dion, and no Canadians were harmed during the writing of this blog.

No comments: