Friday, March 14, 2014

Sunshine and Conversation

A few days ago I was enjoying what can only be defined as a meteorological anomaly: It was sunny and warm and for a few moments I ignored the idea that it will likely be snowing in day or two. For a few fleeting hours I pretended Spring was sprung and had been replaced by Summer. It was a nice feeling that was magnified by an even nicer scene I watched transpire across the street.

From my vantage point in the building where I was conducting some business, I had a direct line of sight out the window and could see a homeless man seated on the adjacent street corner. He wasn't holding a sign or asking for anything, but he was making an attempt to converse with almost every person who crossed his path. The gentleman was not an imposing or menacing individual and he was neatly dressed and groomed. I had talked to him on a few prior occasions and always found him to be polite and affable.

As the pantomime unfolded across the busy street, I realized even thought my interactions with the man were few, every time we were finished talking I left the scene in a better mood. He was one of those guys who was genuinely concerned when he asked questions. While most of us frequently drift into an automated "how are you" greeting, *Jerry was actually curious when he asked. It was refreshing to meet someone who wanted nothing more than to talk. Since many of us are often suspicious of other people's ulterior motives, its always a treat to bump into someone who enjoys conversation for the sake of conversation.

I pleasantly watched the faces of the passer-byers as they encountered Jerry. The whole experience was enjoyable because I couldn't hear the exchange and had to rely on the facial expressions of the involved parties. I have had the privilege of working with the homeless for years and have long abandoned many preconceived ideas other people might still hold. And its not because I am a particularly enlightened fellow or more socially evolved than most primates. Its only because I've been able to spend time with them and had my life affected in very positive ways.

My voyeurism only lasted a few minutes before I was finished and on my way across the street to say hello to Jerry. I didn't monopolize his time because I didn't want to rob others of the wonderful experience of talking to him. As I walked away I couldn't help wondering how many others were having a better day simply because they bumped into Jerry. Without realizing or even trying, he was breaking down stereotypes and forcing people to confront their beliefs about the homeless.

I'm really thankful for sunny days.


*Not his real name

No comments: