Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mothers Day

A day just for mothers.

When I was a kid, I wondered why Mother's Day existed. I assumed all moms loved the role of being a mother so why did it need to be commemorated every year? It was like thanking Santa for bringing presents or writing a card to the Easter Bunny for delivering those delicious chocolatey baskets. If a person loves their job, do they really need to be applauded for performing it? I mean, wasn't having the privilege of raising me more than enough thanks for my my mom!

My wife and I were married about 6 years before our son was born. And as I watched her role evolve from spouse to mother, I was amazed with all the changes happened. Being a mom involves sacrifice and love and the greatest moms have learned to walk this blurry tightrope with the deftest of precision. The sacrifice of a mother takes is evident in how she places the well-being of her child before her own. It is neither easy or natural to place the needs of another person in front of our own. This is human nature's default setting, and it is an excellent example of how moms all over the planet ensure the security of their children at the expense of what they often want.

I have seen numerous examples of maternal sacrifice among our residents. Mothers who work long hours in unglamorous jobs simply to pay the bills and provide food and housing for their kids. I know mothers who keep one eye in the present while the other is focused on the future. There is nothing they would not do to ensure the safety and longevity of their families. Its a shame they are publicly recognized only one day a year.

Alongside sacrifice, strides love. It works in connection with and compliments sacrifice. Sacrifice without love can only last so long until the obligations and stress becomes overwhelming. Love, in this instance, is often a decision that transcends feelings and emotions. It is a steely resolve that permits a mom to sometime make tough choices for the good of everyone involved. A mother's love allows the family to survive in the midst of chaotic circumstances and the most unenviable situations. Love nestles and caresses as much as it restricts and protects.

The love an support of a mother has the ability to make all the difference in the world to a child. So, to all the mothers at Samaritan House, as well as our own moms, we say, "Thank you."

No comments: