Thursday, June 19, 2014

Creatures of Habit

What are 'creatures of habit'?

I've heard the expression numerous times. I've even tried finding documentaries about them, but I always end up sidetracked, watching some ridiculous flick about Sasquatch. There are hundreds of web sites devoted to Urban Legends, but I've yet to stumble across these creatures. I've searched the pantheons of world mythology and cannot, for the life of me, find this mythical beast. I was beginning to think they were either extinct or altogether spurious until I accidentally found one.

It was looking back at me in the mirror. I am a creature of habit and perhaps you know one, too. As much as I like to fancy myself as a spontaneous person, I am far too gone down the rabbit hole of routine to consider myself a maverick. I enjoy my life and (most of) the principal people involved with my existence. I have the occasional friend, a family, some activities and skills I like and am good at, but most of all I wallow in the predictability that accompanies me in most situations. Don't misunderstand me, its refreshing to have experiences and occurrences that take me on a side-adventure every once in a while. But overall, there is stability in routine and being a creature of habit means I can rely on certain things and that I must provide certain things for others. Wow... I sound very grown up, don't I?

If you are a creature of habit then you can relate to what I'm writing. Monumental surprises and deviations from your own routine can be very unsettling and prompt all manner of behavior ranging from mild annoyance to Dep-Con 12. So how would we react if our entire life was rearranged and the only thing we could count was the fact that we had nothing to count on? What if our new routine consisted of moment-to-moment scenarios that were out of our control? Instead of dictating our circumstances, all we could do is react?

Navigating a life of instability and chaos is nothing new for many of our homeless residents. For whatever reason, they come to us at one of the lowest points in their life and we do our best to partner with them and assist them in getting back on their feet. But we forget that many of these people are former creatures of habit who have had to adapt to a transient life based on unpredictability. We are quick to snap at their indecision and some of the choices they make but we fail to realize that we would probably have just a difficult time adjusting to a brand new life and the intricacies attached.

Working with the homeless involves patience, but not for the reason you might suspect. Patience is required because most people are overwhelmed at their new life and live in shock at all the decisions facing them. Inaction is often wrongly associated with apathy, when the reality of the situation is that the homeless person is simply trying to adjust to a new routine in order to find a way back to their old routine, when they were able to be productive citizens in our community.

It is our hope that we can help some new creatures find their way back to old habitats. All we ask for is a little patience. Many of our residents are doing their best to find ways to get back on their feet and contribute to society.

No comments: