Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Importance of Adaptation

My battery is nearly depleted. I'm frantically punching the keys to produce a few lines before my screen goes black and ends my time. The little icon in the upper corner of my screen is straddling the line between solidity and blinking. Any second it might turn red to warn me that I'm in single digits. What an inopportune time for me to take a minute or two and reminisce about the good 'ol days when all my writing originated on a Brother 3000 Word Processor with a pop-up screen and a floppy disc.

I suppose I could have drawn from a thousand memories to make an analogy about how quickly time passes and we must deal with deal with change. For some reason it seems appropriate to stick with this one. I love writing and the evolution of this process has forced me adapt to the technology involved and accept that nostalgia has been replaced with necessity. Fortunately, I have been afforded the opportunities and abilities to change with the times and keep current with the trends in this field. Writing on my tablet is now my default setting and is as normal and comfortable as the huge PCs I hid behind in the 1990s.

According to my battery, I now have 8% to convey my point.

Adapting to ever-changing technology is difficult for many of the elderly homeless. While many of us have the advantage of taking classes or utilizing on the job training, this is not the case for people who live a transient or unsettled existence. A lack of education proves difficult to overcome because they lack the very basic skills needed to even apply for educational opportunities. It is a horrific experience when a person feels so far behind normal, daily trends that they give up and withdraw from trying to find a career and settle for a job.

And while I believe honest work is noble and any legal means of making money contributes to society, many elderly homeless must settle for low-paying jobs because they are intimidated by technology and don't believe they possess the ability to assimilate into a contemporary workforce.

... 4% left.

It is important for the elderly to receive adequate training so they can improve their chances to find work that will allow them to make enough to do more than merely survive. It is important for our elderly to be able to change with the times and not have to settle for jobs that do not put them in positions to succeed and flourish.

Just because I'm running out of time doesn't mean they have to.

No comments: