Thursday, October 9, 2014

Three Strikes

This is my third attempt at a topic. Since what you read is the final draft, I thought I would allow you a brief glimpse of what transpires before I tidy things up and punch the "publish draft" icon.

Originally, I was nearly 400 words into a treatise about Columbus Day, but I realized it had no correlation to my main point and I was forcing the issue simply because that day is nearly upon us. Next, I made it through two paragraphs based on my recent viewing of the movie Rudy. And while the story is heartwarming and inspirational (like my blog surely would have been), I am an ardent anti-Notre Dame fan, so I could not work past my juvenile and irrational biases. Yes... I am that petty, sometimes.

So, here we are. Some people would say the third time is the charm. This is a curious phrase and from what I've read, its origin dates back to an old English custom declaring if a person was still alive after 2 attempts at being hanged, they were allowed to live. There are other possibilities for this phrase, ranging from Shakespeare to thoughts found in the Hebrew Talmud, but I really like the hanging antidote and since I'm the one writing this, I'll stick with it.

Others argue, "three strikes and you're out." Again, there are a few possibilities for this phrase, but because baseball's playoffs are upon us, let's stay with the tried truism of America's historically favorite pastime (beware, though... Soccer is gaining) indicating three failed attempts at securing a base hit leads to an out. And three outs culminates in the end of an inning!

So, which person are you?

Do you live under the auspice and fear that perpetual failure will lead to a forfeiture of your dreams? Are you worrying so much about not doing the right things, that you are crippling your creative efforts because you are afraid of making a mistake? People are quick to remind you of previous calamitous ventures and you are even quicker to beat them to the punch and chastise yourself.

Or, do you live in the freedom and elation that accompanies the notion that the best ideas and efforts are often the result of multiple failures and frustrations? Do you realize that you've fallen several times but focus on the times you pick yourself up and carry on because its the right thing to do. People are quick to point out your shortcomings and you smile, thank then, and then move on with steadfast determination because you understand fortitude trumps apathy.

How we respond to what life hurls at us defines much of who we are. Do we fold and allow ourselves to drown in our circumstances or do we risk the vulnerability of reaching for greatness and pushing ourselves in spite of what's happening around us? The world is a better place when its populated with people who aren't afraid to be messy. People who know that success is raised from the ashes of failure.

And speaking of failure... If only I could think of something to write about.

No comments: