Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Power of Java

I was watching NBC's "The Voice" a few nights ago while kicking around a few ideas for the blog. First... Don't judge me. Inspiration comes from the the craziest places and who cares if I pretend that Pharrell, Blake, and I are best friends. Anyway, back to my original point: inspiration.

After a while, I was ready to give up on this venture switch to ESPN (not for inspiration, though. I just needed a few basketball scores) as Carson Daly made an announcement catching my attention. A global coffee chain was hosting a contest and the prize was one free food or drink item every day for the next 30 years. Interesting. I did some research, found the menu for this business, and then extrapolated a few numbers. To give a larger sample size, I've listed the least and most expensive items. Oh, did I mention there would be 10 lucky winners?

A child's chocolate milk at $1 a day, every day for 30 years = $10,950.
If all ten winners ordered nothing but this item, the total would equal $109,500.

Several drinks were listed at $4.25. One of these, every day for 30 years = $46,537.50.
If the ten winners ordered only these items, the total would be $465,375.

As someone who has worked with nonprofits for a significant portion of my adult life, my first thought was either of those sums would make an incredible difference to any social service provider. Instead of fueling the coffee habits for a group of over-caffeinated hipsters, this money should be given to nobler causes impacting the lives of people in need. But then, after doing more research, I discovered this corporation annually gives millions of dollars to organizations across America. They are doing their part and have earned the right to spend their profits however they see fit.

My focus turned inward. Maybe I should stop waiting for large national corporations to save the day, and perhaps I could do more, myself.

Its easy to channel ire and righteous indignation at large companies because they are impersonal entities. But what if I examine my own (in)actions with that same searing introspection? Are there things in my own life I could do without in order to help others? I'm not talking about plunging head first into a life of total self-deprivation. I don't need to forsake all manner of material comforts. But maybe there are a few things I could scale back on while putting that cash towards other causes.

A few dollars here, and a couple cents there... If stashed away and saved over the duration of a month or year... Would certainly be a blessing to organizations who are constantly scrambling to raise money. Perhaps this is something you might consider and pledge toward Samaritan House. And while I can't promise you will ever win a contest that awards you several thousand coffees over the course of the next 3 decades, I promise you can save lives by skipping an occasional cup of joe every now and then.

No comments: