Wednesday, August 26, 2015

People are not Talking Points

Sometimes I need a break from the constant saturation and moment-by-moment bombardment of iLife. Now, before you think I am expressing worrisome and melancholy thoughts that warrant intervention, please relax and allow me to explain. I'm not even certain the term iLife is real and I apologize if it has already been tagged and utilized by some trendy start up company in Seattle or Portland.

By using this word, I'm simply referring to the interconnectivity of social media and conventional media that seems to be inescapable. It is getting harder and harder to unplug from the multitude of voices, opinions, experts, antagonists, and anyone else who wants to espouse their thoughts on how we all need to live our lives. And honestly, I appreciate the right we have, as Americans, to proclaim our beliefs. But, if I'm going to continue to be honest, so many of these thoughts have seemed really mean and inhumane to me, lately.

I am not going to mention anyone by name just as I refuse to endorse any particular political view. This is a forum for the advocacy of homeless issues and besides, I'm tired of turning on the news seeing people ridicule others who think differently. I am probably being very naive and simplistic, but the past few months have given me time to pause and reflect on the basic human condition and how we view each other.

No matter where a person comes from, he or she is entitled to respect and dignity as a person. Whether they are housed or homeless or new to this country or they are from a linage dating back centuries; respect and basic decency should not be doled out on the basis that we think they should or should not be here. Have we really (de)evolved to the point that we justify the sanctity of life for certain people but not others? I am growing increasingly tired of hearing people described as statistics and demographics and not people.

It is very easy to make gross generalizations and shout insults. It is very easy to entrench ourselves in ideas that offer solutions that we do not have to deal with. It is very easy to grab the pitchforks and join the rest of the mob in a cacophony of anger because we get frustrated. These are all legitimate feelings and stem from a dissatisfaction with the lack of progress see from those who are supposed to provide answers. I get that.

But what about those who have been dehumanized in this conversation? People and families that are no longer referred to as people, but labeled as catch-phrases. At the heart of this issue remains the fact that we are talking about people. They are not statistics and talking points to further an agenda. They are men and women and boys and girls and all I am asking is that we remember that.

I am not proposing a solution. That would be too easy and would absolve me from going the extra mile. What I am proposing is that we treat people with dignity even if we take issue with the circumstances surrounding their existence. And if that seems like an unreasonable request perhaps it is time to ask why.

No comments: