Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Bah, Humbug

Disclaimer: my jaded views on the holiday season is a result of growing up in an overbearing Italian-American household with a mother who started decorating for Thanksgiving in July and the Christmas tree went up in October. Our outside holiday lights never came down and I was generally embarrassed most of the year. I realize I am grumpy and my attitude toward the holidays is neither indicative nor representative of the rest of my family. I am the Grinch.

I've had to work hard over the years to re-embrace a spirit of Yuletide. I appreciate this time of year and all the trimmings that go along with Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanza, and whatever other traditions are (or are not) celebrated. I get it; just don't ask me to dance around, unwrap, or light anything. I'm content letting the rest of the world celebrate however it sees fit.

And in spite of the miserly, Scroogian attitude I've adopted as a result of being forced to actually live out the Christmas tree scene from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, I still want to believe in the goodness of others. Even though I was literally strapped to a chair and had to watch A Christmas Story over and over and over... I refuse to totally go over to the dark side.

When I was a kid, I used to write these epic wishlists; a comprehensive manifesto of the items I wanted... no, check that... The items I NEEDED. A list of the things I could not live without. This list became shorter as I grew older. I figured out that it was more beneficial to ask for fewer things because my odds improved in getting them. The key was to focus on a couple things instead of begging for the entire toy catalogue.

So, in an attempt to rehash my youth and perhaps garner a new (not as grumpy) view of the holidays, I've written another wishlist. This one forsakes any clamoring for techy things or anything with an "i" in front of it. I'm not asking for clothes or cars or houses. Instead, I'm addressing my wishlist to Washington.

Wish 1. Get Congress to issue a joint apology to the millions of homeless families and youth, coupled by their commitment to revamp our nation's paltry approach to this population, and the serious funding necessary. Oh yeah, pass (fully funded) the Homeless Children and Youth Act for a show of good faith. The Homeless Children and Youth Act is bi-partisan legislation that would make it easier for homeless children, youth, and families to receive homeless assistance, no matter where they happen to be staying.

Wish 2. Get Congress to agree that poverty in America is immoral and that they will immediately and wholeheartedly take drastic steps to restore a decent quality of life to the disenfranchised.

Wish 3. Get Congress to institute a moratorium on any cruel initiatives to punish those at the bottom of the economic ladder--in areas not limited to health care, criminal justice, welfare, childcare, education and nutrition.

So... There you have it. Now I'll just leave out some milk and cookies.

No comments: